Shipshewana

 Over in the Amish part of Northern Indiana there is a huge flea market called Shipshewana. I remember going when I was about 10 and thinking it was pretty cool. It was just row after row of stuff being sold. It was a pretty big deal to go there for us, and I remember Papa gave me a twenty dollar bill when we arrived and said I could spend it however I wanted! Wow! That certainly made it a lot more exciting to me! Back then they had so many different booths there, I remember I even found a booth selling comic books. I'm sure that's where most if not all of my twenty bucks went!
The other day someone at work was talking about how they went to Shipshewana recently. This got me thinking- maybe we should go! Diana was up for it and I was talking with my parents about it and they asked if they could tag along too. Sure, the more the merrier! The drive is kind of cool as well because the closer you get to the flea market the more you see horse drawn buggies and homes without electricity. The flea market itself was a bit different than I remembered, it has gotten a lot more corporate. There were very few booths of actual handmade stuff or interesting items, most of them were just cheap stuff from China that were the same as the table two booths down. Though we didn't find much to get it was still fun to go and wander all those rows and spend time with Mema and Papa!

No comments: