Goodbye Haworth

 Haworth has played a big part in my family's life for a while now. Years ago when Papa's job of 30+ years started downsizing, he found a job as a supervisor at Haworth (the competitor of where he used to work). He wasn't necessarily wild about having to work 2nd shift, but it was a good company and they treated him well. Eventually as Diana and I started feeling like we needed a change, Papa offered to get me a job there as well. Throwing caution to the wind, we decided to do it! I had been teaching for 14 years, but needed a change, and this was the best offer going. Having no clue what I was in for, I took the plunge and started at the bottom as a hilo driver. After a few months I moved up the chain to loading, and a few months after that I moved up again to be a team lead! I went from the lowest position to leading an entire shift and crew of 22 people in the course of a little over a year! Over the next six years I tried moving up further in their operation, but I kept getting denied. I guess I realized that team lead was as far as I was going to get at Haworth. It's a little disappointing to be told no again and again, so I started looking to see if there were any opportunities elsewhere. With the pandemic and everything that has been going on the past year and a half, I figured even if they did promote me, there might not be much future in an office furniture company when no one is working in offices... After going on a couple interviews (thus the haircut), I had actually gotten a job offer! (that's what the call was while we were at Mom and David's). And that job offer was way too good to pass up! That meant that it was time to say goodbye to Haworth. It has been a great place to work and I will miss many of the guys there, but it's time to move on up! I gave Haworth my two week notice but only had to work one of them because I had saved up enough vacation time to slip out early. It's been great, but its time for me to see what the next chapter of my life looks like!

No comments: