Goodbye Childhood

Wow, it finally happened: my parents moved and sold their house. This is the house I spent my whole life in. All those years ago when my mom was pregnant with me, she and my dad decided it was time to upgrade to a bigger house. The one they were in was pretty small, and now they were about to have baby number 3! They bought this house and moved in right around the time I was born- so I literally spent my whole life growing up in this house! 
I have so many fond memories of this place: playing in the backyard pool (before it was torn down), having my bedroom in a closet (had to get away from my brother somehow...), visiting on holidays in college, and raising our boy there for a few months when we moved back to Michigan, and thousands of amazing memories in between!
They had been thinking about moving for a few years now and finally found a house they wanted to move in to. I was able to help a little bit with packing and moving, getting them to their new place. 
They were all moved out and the new owners weren't going to get the keys for a couple days yet, so I took the opportunity to stop back in there one last time. It was really strange to see the whole place empty! I slowly walked through the empty house as the memories flooded through my mind. Granted, my parents had repaired and updated basically every single room in the house since I moved out to go to college, so it didn't really look like the house I grew up in, but that doesn't change the fact that it may look different but it's still the same place. 
They say you can't go home again, and now I literally can't because someone else lives there!

No comments: