the award goes to...

its finally here, the day i look forward to all year.  that special day when all my movie obsessions come to a head: its time for the oscars!  every year the oscars is a big deal for me.  i don't know when the obsession started for me, but i remember convincing my parents to let me stay up every year until they were over (which is around 11-11:30pm; that's pretty late for an 11 year old!).  i used to try and make it a point of going to see each and every movie that was nominated, but lately i haven't been able to do that because, you know, life.  even though i don't get to see most of the movies, i still read up on all of them and check out all the pre-oscar coverage for the months and weeks leading up to the actual ceremony.  i even have a bit of a tradition when it comes to watching: i print out a copy of all the nominees and pick my favorites to win (which is kind of ridiculous considering i haven't seen any of them...).  i put the list on my oscar clipboard (yes, i have a special clipboard dedicated just for the oscars- i've got my picks going back more than 10 years on that clipboard!) and check out how i do as the ceremony progresses.  over the past five years i've roped diana into the excitement and she gets to pick winners too (and for knowing very little about the movies she doesn't really do much worse than me.  i don't know if that means that she's a good guesser, or that i'm a terrible guesser...) and she really enjoys the whole thing too.  well, i think diana, mom, and david must have been getting sick of me constantly talking about it the week of the oscars that they decided to give me this hilarious special award: oscarologist!  i was recognized, from the society of film critics i might add, for my 'years of service as a film critic and dedicated watcher', i was bestowed the title of oscarologist.  the best part is that on the special document there is a picture of an oscar award, as well as oscar the grouch!  hilarious!  i love that they spent time and effort making up this little award for me- i know its meant to be silly, but i was kind of touched by the sentiment!

No comments: