his first concert

growing up, one of the bands that I really liked was the newsboys.  I've been listening to them since 1996, when I was in high school.  I've had the chance to see them a couple times in concert, but its been almost 20 years, and they have a new singer now.  well, they are on a new tour where they are back together with two of their old singers, along with the new one, and playing all the old hits.  that's all I needed to get me interested.  ledger had gotten to know and love some of their music as well because all I listen to is music from the 90's...  diana and I decided that we would go to see them as a family and take ledger to his first music concert!  in preparation I looked online and found the playlist for the tour and made a mixtape so ledger would be familiar with all the songs.  we played it all the time in the car and at home.  eventually he (and diana) learned all the songs and could sing along with them too.  mission accomplished!  now the three of us are ready for the show!
the day of the concert ledger decided he wanted to dress up for the show, so he put on his button down shirt and bowtie!  we got something to eat and then headed over to the venue and picked our seats before the show.  we got some good seats near the front (ledge wanted to go check out the balcony, but we didn't sit up there).  as showtime was coming closer we took a few minutes and stopped at the merch table and got their new cd as well as a light stick thingy for ledge to wave.  
the lights started to flicker- we know what that means: its time for the show!  ledge was pumped as the newsboys took the stage.  i've got to be honest, so was I!  over the course of the show they played all the hits that I remember from years ago, as well as the new hits (which ledger prefered, honestly).  the ploy to get ledge familiar with all their songs worked really well and he was able to sing along to all of them.  my favorite part was definitely when peter furler and phil joel came out to join michael tate and the rest of the boys for the older songs.  
they had a special offer to anyone who wanted to sponsor a child: a free tour book and the chance to meet the newsboys after the show!  ledge was excited about that opportunity- and so was I!  so we signed up and go the book.  so when the show was over we went over and lined up to introduce ledger to the boys.  as we were waiting in line, ledger asked what the name is of the singer.  I told him michael tate.  he wanted to say hi to him, but he couldn't remember his last name.  I told him 'its tate, like tater tot, but without the r'.  well that was a mistake, because now he wanted to call him mr. tater!  oops...  we got up there and they signed the book for ledger and even had a joyful laugh at how he was wearing a bowtie and looked so handsome!
on the way home ledger was talking about how much fun he had and how excited he was that he got to meet mr. tater.  I was excited too, buddy...
(more pics: 1, 2, 3)


No comments: